Apartment leak

By Chase

I noticed my floor being damp before I went to bed one night. It was expectedly worse the next morning. I was going to turn it in anyways but the urgency escalated on the matter after seeing how much water had accumulated. I received prompt response but they said being a Friday they had no parts until Monday to fix the problem because they order their parts. There is a Lowe’s down the street and needless to say they have everything needed to fix the problem. I realized the problem was too big to wait that long so i bought the parts myself and repaired it myself. However, there was also a leak in my neighbors apartment that was simultaneously adding to the water accumulation so the problem was not completely fixed. Now 3 days later they finally fix the leak but now I have an ungodly amount of water in my kitchen, bathroom, and living room. My question is what are my rights on this? Does a matter like this account for a breach in contract on their side? I should be able to deduct the cost of parts I purchased from my rent shouldn’t I? What should be done?

Edited on: Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 9:23 pm

3 Responses to “Apartment leak”

My response: (We welcome stories, examples, explanations, answers and a touch of your personality)


September 15th, 2008 12:52 pm

One thing I will say is to get the water completely dried up. My rental office was flooded about a year ago, it took a water damage company about a month to get the office dried out and repaired. You will want to make sure the moisture is completely out of the floors and walls, or it can turn into mold or dry rot. I would insist that your manager contact a emergency restoration company immediately. They have the tools and equipment to test and repair the unit. That’s my rental advice to you!


September 15th, 2008 12:54 pm

By the way– I was going to add that these types of repairs should be covered by your landlords insurance policy. Yes, they will need to file a claim, but it needs to be done before it gets worse.

B. Cameron

September 19th, 2008 1:48 pm

I have been in my apartment for 2 1/2 weeks and I have had 2 bathroom floods. Now my apartment complex charge for wate and it is on the a sliding scale where it is divided between the building. Now my concern is that they are going to charge me for using extra water because the bathroom flooded and I had to wash clothes that had gotten wet. So is there any way I can prevent this because is not my fault that the apartment flooded or I have to suck it up and take it.

Please if anybody knows let me know.



Yes, the RPA® Can Help You!

Filing an official complaint is the nation's fastest way to solve tenant problems.

Not Ready? Learn more...

Virginia Complaint Filling Deadline  Tips/Suggestion

Need Help Filing Your Complaint?

Agents Available Mon- Fri 10am to 10pm

Recently Resolved Complaints:

See how the Nation's Rental Authority has helped thousands of tenants already!

Ask Question:

Post a new question to the RPA Tenants rights forum.

You Have Tenant Rights.
Recently Posted Questions:

Over 4,000 questions have been asked by tenants including these new posts:

Tenant Rights Categories

Popular categories about renters rights.