letter of complaints

By jay

My family is currently on housing assisstance, we are already applying for new places to live. We we’re forced to move due to the land lord failing to the work required on an inspection. We are getting out of here by Dec. 1. We hadn’t payed the rent for this month until today being payday and all, so we sent him a check for the rent plus late fee. So my landlord stopped by on the sixth and gave us a two day eviction notice to vacate the premises by the eighth.  On the seventh, we informed him that we had sent the check+late fee and he responded he had better have the payment in his hand by the eighth or he was going to the courts. Earlier this month we were told by the housing authority we weren’t to vacate the premises until Dec.1. Also he has already received the portion of his rent from the housing authority.  My question is can my landlord do this and whether or not I should file a formal complaint?

Edited on: Friday, November 7th, 2008 8:32 pm

4 Responses to “letter of complaints”

My response: (We welcome stories, examples, explanations, answers and a touch of your personality)


November 10th, 2008 8:39 am

If you already sent the check to the landlord, it shouldn’t be a problem. Your landlord should get your rent check by the next business day. I would suggest checking your account to see if your landlord has cashed the check yet. I wouldn’t worry about it until you really need to.


November 10th, 2008 3:55 pm

From my own experience housing authority rules. Even if you hadn’t sent in your portion of the rent, he would still have to go through all of the motions of an eviction. Like a 30 day notice in writing and then possibly through the courts. It is a very lengthy process and you wouldn’t really have to leave until the Marshalls came and threw you out. And further more; as long as they are excepting any portion of the rent then you are allowed to stay.


November 11th, 2008 7:42 am

That’s true! Even if the landlord were to evict you, he would still need to go through the motions. I would think your landlord is doing nothing less than a verbal threat to scare you. There are laws that protect you.

Randy Stone

November 12th, 2008 6:33 am

Yes– file a complaint. Its that simple.


Yes, the RPA® Can Help You!

Filing an official complaint is the nation's fastest way to solve tenant problems.

Not Ready? Learn more...

Virginia Complaint Filling Deadline  Tips/Suggestion

Need Help Filing Your Complaint?

Agents Available Mon- Fri 10am to 10pm

Recently Resolved Complaints:

See how the Nation's Rental Authority has helped thousands of tenants already!

Ask Question:

Post a new question to the RPA Tenants rights forum.

You Have Tenant Rights.
Recently Posted Questions:

Over 4,000 questions have been asked by tenants including these new posts:

Tenant Rights Categories

Popular categories about renters rights.