My landlord wont return my deposit

By B.C.

I’ve been in contact with my former landlords and now they are putting off talking about the deposit.  It has been a month since I have moved out and the landlords still claim they need to talk to some people.  Although since I last talked to them the husband has had some physical problems and been in the hospital, they have had a month to figure out what charges should be deducted from the deposit.  How long should I give them before I become much more presistent?

Edited on: Monday, January 23rd, 2012 2:05 pm

4 Responses to “My landlord wont return my deposit”

My response: (We welcome stories, examples, explanations, answers and a touch of your personality)

RPA Agent

August 29th, 2008 1:02 pm

Most states require deposits to be handled within 30 days of move-out or from the date the forwarding address was provided, which ever is later. You have right to make those demands after you go beyond that period.

RPA Agent

August 29th, 2008 1:13 pm

Ok, I’ve done some more state specific research for you. In California the rent laws dealing with the refund of deposits is much more strict than in other states. California laws are clearly more beneficial to renters than they are to landlords.

California laws requires a landlord to refund your rent deposit within 21 calendar day after you move. If the landlord is charging anything against the deposit, they must provide an itemized statement that clearly lists the amounts being deducted from your deposit.

California laws also require the landlord to provide copies of receipts proving the repairs, unless the damages are less than $126.

Richard Bagget

August 31st, 2008 6:58 am

Although your post shows California, on the main page it is listed as Arizona. So the California laws dealing with the return of your deposit aren’t going to help much. However, the Arizona rent law is very similar. Your landlord must provide you with a refund of your deposit, or an itemized statement showing how things were charged. By failing to do so you are entitled to twice the amount the with-held from you. So if your deposit is $500, technically you have right to collect $1000; since they with-held your rent or security deposit beyond the timeframe alloted by the state laws. If you just want your money back, I would suggest filing a complaint with the RPA. But if you want to get the double amount owed, I would suggest taking your landlord to small claims court.


September 1st, 2008 7:11 am

It sounds like your landlord doesn’t know what the law says. You have right to demand that they return the deposit immediately. If they keep giving you problems, be sure to leave negative feedback.


Yes, the RPA® Can Help You!

Filing an official complaint is the nation's fastest way to solve tenant problems.

Not Ready? Learn more...

Virginia Complaint Filling Deadline  Tips/Suggestion

Need Help Filing Your Complaint?

Agents Available Mon- Fri 10am to 10pm

Recently Resolved Complaints:

See how the Nation's Rental Authority has helped thousands of tenants already!

Ask Question:

Post a new question to the RPA Tenants rights forum.

You Have Tenant Rights.
Recently Posted Questions:

Over 4,000 questions have been asked by tenants including these new posts:

Tenant Rights Categories

Popular categories about renters rights.