Help with security deposit assistance

By Ms. Pierski

NOTICE:  The RPA DOES NOT provide welfare assistance.  To get help with rent or desposits you will need to contact your local housing authority and apply for Section 8.

Hello, I want to rent an apartment. The landlord is asking for $1500 to move in. Is there any companies or loan companies that in Chicago,Il that would help with security deposit assistance? pls tell there’s some type of help. I do work but with the monthly bills, I can’t afford to move.

Edited on: Friday, November 16th, 2012 3:40 am

6 Responses to “Help with security deposit assistance”

My response: (We welcome stories, examples, explanations, answers and a touch of your personality)


September 9th, 2008 8:35 pm

I’ve never heard of anything like that! If you need help paying for a deposit, I would try contacting family to see if they can provide some type of financial help. Isn’t there a government program that helps with rent?


September 10th, 2008 7:38 am

Are you familiar with section 8 housing. They are the ones that can help with this kind of thing. Look in the phone book under Housing Authority. You will need to see what the requirements are to get assistance. In our area renters tell me there is a long waiting list to get help, so the sooner you get the process going, the better. Good luck!


September 10th, 2008 7:48 am

Why not use a credit card? If you really want to get into the rental, write a check from your credit card. If you don’t have a credit card you could try using one of those payday loan centers. My 2 cents is that if you can’t afford it, you can’t afford it. Maybe its time to look for a place that you can afford, or wait until you have saved some money.


September 10th, 2008 7:44 am

I saw this post and thought I would tell you what I know. I’m currently getting rent help from the Section 8 Housing program. You will need to contact your local housing authority to get on the list. When I applied I was told the wait was 2 years, but I actually got approved within 4 months. The program provides me with low cost housing, and they pay a portion of my rent. I don’t think they help with deposits, but if you are renting from a low income housing project, the deposit shouldn’t be a big issue. I had to come up with $100 for a deposit. By the way, not all landlords are approved for section 8. So if you go through that program you will need to limit some of your options.


January 26th, 2009 10:48 pm

I am in need of assistance with my security deposit so I can move myself and my 2 children in with me. They are staying with friends until i get the help i need.I found a place I just need the help. Thank you


April 11th, 2013 11:06 am

i moved in to an apartment that is to small for my family and i i pay my rent in cash but need to find a bigger place i have 6 kids i am looking for help for sercurity so wwe can move


Yes, the RPA® Can Help You!

Filing an official complaint is the nation's fastest way to solve tenant problems.

Not Ready? Learn more...

Virginia Complaint Filling Deadline  Tips/Suggestion

Need Help Filing Your Complaint?

Agents Available Mon- Fri 10am to 10pm

Recently Resolved Complaints:

See how the Nation's Rental Authority has helped thousands of tenants already!

Ask Question:

Post a new question to the RPA Tenants rights forum.

You Have Tenant Rights.
Recently Posted Questions:

Over 4,000 questions have been asked by tenants including these new posts:

Tenant Rights Categories

Popular categories about renters rights.