Stop eviction!!

By Vern

Here’s my problem, I was leasing a home /boyfriend, I moved out when the lease was up in June, I verablly informed the owner that I was moving and he was staying. He never paid rent and so I just found out he was evicted, so I looked up his case in public record and my name was on the unlawful detainer. I have never received any paperwork for this. It looks like so far there hasn’t been any other paper work for monies due/owed. Just Unlawful complaint Disposition. What can I do to remove this eviction? This happend in the Northern part of Ca. and I am now in So. Cal? do I have to go up there to take care of this or can I take care of it down here? HELP?  How can I stop eviction? I don’t want anything else to go against in court. I don’t know if there is anything I can do now to remove this eviction, I haven’t lived there in 3 months!!!

Edited on: Thursday, April 26th, 2012 8:54 am

3 Responses to “Stop eviction!!”

My response: (We welcome stories, examples, explanations, answers and a touch of your personality)


November 27th, 2008 10:00 am

Since you signed the Lease Agreement you are equally responsible for the unit, even if you move out. Here are the problems:
1) You have no proof of termination (Verbal agreement only…)
2) Your name is listed on the Lease Agreement– so if you move you could still be liable.
What might help:
1) Your lease ended? (If the lease ended– your commitment should have too)
2) Terms on the agreement– Check the agreement to see what it says about the termination of the agreement. If it says that prior written notice is required, you are stuck. If it says that the agreement is automatically terminated at the end of the term, you have some pull. If it says that the agreement automatically renews, you could have a problem.
For dealing with getting an eviction off your record you should hire an attorney or file a complaint with RPA.
Good Luck!


November 28th, 2008 10:03 am

I would try to get your old roommate to sign a document stating that he was the only person living in the unit after you moved out. See if you can get him to take full responsibility, then you have a case to approach the courts with.


December 1st, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks!!! I will read the lease again to find out about the terms. I also know that the roommate will take full responsibility, and write me any letter that I need. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND INSIGHT.

AdamZP, what are you saying???


Yes, the RPA® Can Help You!

Filing an official complaint is the nation's fastest way to solve tenant problems.

Not Ready? Learn more...

Virginia Complaint Filling Deadline  Tips/Suggestion

Need Help Filing Your Complaint?

Agents Available Mon- Fri 10am to 10pm

Recently Resolved Complaints:

See how the Nation's Rental Authority has helped thousands of tenants already!

Ask Question:

Post a new question to the RPA Tenants rights forum.

You Have Tenant Rights.
Recently Posted Questions:

Over 4,000 questions have been asked by tenants including these new posts:

Tenant Rights Categories

Popular categories about renters rights.