Am I entitled to my deposit

By Dani

I am a single mom and found myself not being able to pay my rent for personal reasons. I was evicted. I owe them a certain amount that I am slowly but surely paying off.  I paid a large deposit when I moved in. Will I be able to get the deposit back? There was no damages to the home.

Edited on: Friday, February 18th, 2011 11:40 pm

One Response to “Am I entitled to my deposit”

My response: (We welcome stories, examples, explanations, answers and a touch of your personality)


June 8th, 2010 10:44 pm

You are always entitled to a full refund of your security deposit.  The problem is that since you allowed the issue to go through the court eviction process you are most likely owing more than the amount of your rent deposit.  Management has the right to apply your deposit to any charges of back rent.  In some cases you could automatically forfeit your deposit due to your breach of the contract.
Don’t expect a dime back; its probably not going to happen.


Yes, the RPA® Can Help You!

Filing an official complaint is the nation's fastest way to solve tenant problems.

Not Ready? Learn more...

Virginia Complaint Filling Deadline  Tips/Suggestion

Need Help Filing Your Complaint?

Agents Available Mon- Fri 10am to 10pm

Recently Resolved Complaints:

See how the Nation's Rental Authority has helped thousands of tenants already!

Ask Question:

Post a new question to the RPA Tenants rights forum.

You Have Tenant Rights.
Recently Posted Questions:

Over 4,000 questions have been asked by tenants including these new posts:

Tenant Rights Categories

Popular categories about renters rights.