landlord problems

By Tenant

i dont have a lease with my landlord.ive made many complaints about my neighbors and have called the police many times on landlord will not do anything.hes says to try to get along with these neighbors,i cant do it ive tried.all the wiring needs to be replaced and half of the outlets dont work.he really is a slum landlord.hes says if we move out we will get charged another months rent eventhough we dont have a there any way we can take him to court to get our deposit back to help us move eventhough we dont have a lease with him?i dont want to have to pay legal fees.we are at the end of our rope.i need some advice please.

Edited on: Thursday, January 31st, 2013 8:42 pm

2 Responses to “landlord problems”

My response: (We welcome stories, examples, explanations, answers and a touch of your personality)


June 1st, 2009 6:59 am

Of course you can take him to court, even though you don’t have a lease agreement. But keep in mind deposits are closely regulated. Meaning that the landlord has right to keep the deposit until after you move out that way he can use the money to fix things that were damaged or left dirty by you. Most State Rental Laws will give the landlord 30 days to return the deposit or to account for it.


June 3rd, 2009 6:32 am

Why not give him a 30 day notice? That should allow you to get your deposit back. I imagine you can handle another month.


Yes, the RPA® Can Help You!

Filing an official complaint is the nation's fastest way to solve tenant problems.

Not Ready? Learn more...

Virginia Complaint Filling Deadline  Tips/Suggestion

Need Help Filing Your Complaint?

Agents Available Mon- Fri 10am to 10pm

Recently Resolved Complaints:

See how the Nation's Rental Authority has helped thousands of tenants already!

Ask Question:

Post a new question to the RPA Tenants rights forum.

You Have Tenant Rights.
Recently Posted Questions:

Over 4,000 questions have been asked by tenants including these new posts:

Tenant Rights Categories

Popular categories about renters rights.