Rent Refund

By SFrancis

Okay here is my story. I was going to rent a house which initially I had the choice to go month to month or sign a six month lease. I decided to go with the lease and then found a house I wanted to buy instead on a foreclosure. Since this is a long process, I asked the lease to be changed to month to month instead of the six month lease. At first the landlord wanted to work with me but then advertised it on craigslist and found somebody else to rent it for the next month. To get out of my lease, she had my pay the rent for august and had somebody to rent it in September, but then they decided to rent it on August 16th instead. So the landlord sent me a rent refund check for a portion of the rent I paid but it is 200 hundred dollars short. This means she was paid an extra 200 bucks for August above what her rent she charges. I know it is only 200 bucks but it really pisses me off she is double dipping on my dime. What would you do?

Edited on: Saturday, May 25th, 2013 12:27 pm

4 Responses to “Rent Refund”

My response: (We welcome stories, examples, explanations, answers and a touch of your personality)


August 20th, 2008 7:14 am

Yeah, I’d be pissed too! But before jumping to conclusions, maybe it’s best to give your landlady the benefit of the doubt, it might just be an honest error. If I were you I would send a certified letter to your landlady informing her of the mistake and request for an immediate refund of the missing $200. If that doesn’t get her to respond, you can always file a complaint with the RPA. Either way, she shouldn’t be keeping your money.


August 20th, 2008 10:54 pm

Yes I did give her the benefit of the doubt and sent her a letter to which she insists she is correct. Now she says if I am not satisfied I can send her the refund check back and take her to court.


August 21st, 2008 7:22 am

Sfrancis, if you have already taken those steps and the landlord is still keeping your money… instead of taking her to court, you should be able to file a complaint through the RPA. Once you file a complaint, it will be investigated by an agent like myself. Your landlord will need to explain how she is keeping the money. I would think that this case would be quickly resolved. You will need to pay for the $35 processing fee to file the complaint against your landlord. That would be my suggestion.


August 21st, 2008 10:35 pm

Thanks, I think I will


Yes, the RPA® Can Help You!

Filing an official complaint is the nation's fastest way to solve tenant problems.

Not Ready? Learn more...

Virginia Complaint Filling Deadline  Tips/Suggestion

Need Help Filing Your Complaint?

Agents Available Mon- Fri 10am to 10pm

Recently Resolved Complaints:

See how the Nation's Rental Authority has helped thousands of tenants already!

Ask Question:

Post a new question to the RPA Tenants rights forum.

You Have Tenant Rights.
Recently Posted Questions:

Over 4,000 questions have been asked by tenants including these new posts:

Tenant Rights Categories

Popular categories about renters rights.