Tenant property damage

By Heather

My husband, son and I have lived in this 12-apartment complex for about 10 years now.  We have gone through a fire in the apartment above us, resulting in water damage in our place, to continuous break-ins of our vehicles.  Our latest problem started on Dec, 28th.  We pay to park behind our building under a carport. $15 per car, per month(adds up to an extra $30 a month for us) Above the carport is storage area on on end, and a patio on the other end.  We have gotten snow dumped on us since the 17th of December.(6 foot since that date)  Roofs have collapsed all over Spokane. The news, Mayor, Sherriffs office has warned businesses to to keep their roofs as clear as possible.  The patio roof is just that plastic shingling.  We woke up on Dec. 28th to a middle portion of the patio roof collapsed which in turn pushed a drain pipe through the carport roof, which again in turn, damaged my 2005 Caravan.  A foot wide by a foot long piece of cement broke off from the drain and landed on the roof of my van, then rolled down the windshield and the hood.(dinging and scratching the windshield and scratching the hood.)  I called our insurance, they called the property managements insurance and on Jan.8th I was told they weren’t going to pay for the damage done to my van because it was catastrauphic due to weather.  Isay it was negligence on their part for not clearing the roof.  What should I do?

Edited on: Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 2:51 am

2 Responses to “Tenant property damage”

My response: (We welcome stories, examples, explanations, answers and a touch of your personality)

Richard Bagget

January 10th, 2009 9:13 pm

Insurance companies are famous for talking in circles. They are going to avoid paying for the damage to your vehicle if they can. Your vehicle insurance will try to pass the buck to your landlord’s property insurance who will then try to blaim the damage on other things or say that they are not responsible.
At this point it will do little good for you to continue calling your landlord, property manager or either insurance company– they will only frustrate you more and tell you that they are not responsible. If you want anything done, you can guarantee that is will require some type of intervention from a 3rd party.
What are your options:
1) Do nothing– pay to fix the damage yourself. (Price: FREE | Cost: Frustration and Repair bills)
2) File a landlord complaint with RPA.– Get mediation help. (Price: $35 | Cost: Possible quick remedy)
3) Hire an attorney. — Get legal help. (Price: min$250 | Cost: Legal battle
I hope that helps you understand what some of your options are. I would think that the RPA Mediation program would make the most sense, it should be the lease expensive option and provide the quickest resolution. If nothing else it will document a written case against the parties involved which can later be used in small claims court if needed.


January 12th, 2009 1:55 pm

I think its time you put a stop to your landlord’s crapola. I mean come on how hard can it be to repair the problem… Your landlord should be pushing the issue with his insurance company. Putting you off is a sign of poor landlording and it should be reported to the RPA. It at least gives you a chance to tarnish their record if they aren’t fair with you.


Yes, the RPA® Can Help You!

Filing an official complaint is the nation's fastest way to solve tenant problems.

Not Ready? Learn more...

Virginia Complaint Filling Deadline  Tips/Suggestion

Need Help Filing Your Complaint?

Agents Available Mon- Fri 10am to 10pm

Recently Resolved Complaints:

See how the Nation's Rental Authority has helped thousands of tenants already!

Ask Question:

Post a new question to the RPA Tenants rights forum.

You Have Tenant Rights.
Recently Posted Questions:

Over 4,000 questions have been asked by tenants including these new posts:

Tenant Rights Categories

Popular categories about renters rights.