Need advice on a landlord leaving a play/swing set for tenant use.

By Shawn Brown

I have a few rental properties where the owners plan to leave a childrens’ play/swing set. What happens if a tenant’s child gets hurt? Should I put something in the lease stating play at own risk? Thank you!

Edited on: Sunday, May 15th, 2011 4:53 am

3 Responses to “Need advice on a landlord leaving a play/swing set for tenant use.”

My response: (We welcome stories, examples, explanations, answers and a touch of your personality)


May 16th, 2011 7:38 am

That would be a straight forward approach. Yes you can probably do that. It’s like telling the tenant’s that they need to be a much responsible parents. :)


May 23rd, 2011 1:48 pm

I would get the tenant the sign a legal liability waiver, waiving their right to sue you in luie of leaving the set there for their exclusive use. Also, you can and should REQUIRE they carry renter’s insurance as part of the lease agreement. As for the waiver, you can usually download free copies off the net, just search liablity waivers for your state. Good luck….


June 3rd, 2011 7:17 am

Yes, you can put something like that on the agreement. I believe the tenant will understand that will also then be there responsibility of watching out for their children. 😉


Yes, the RPA® Can Help You!

Filing an official complaint is the nation's fastest way to solve tenant problems.

Not Ready? Learn more...

Virginia Complaint Filling Deadline  Tips/Suggestion

Need Help Filing Your Complaint?

Agents Available Mon- Fri 10am to 10pm

Recently Resolved Complaints:

See how the Nation's Rental Authority has helped thousands of tenants already!

Ask Question:

Post a new question to the RPA Tenants rights forum.

You Have Tenant Rights.
Recently Posted Questions:

Over 4,000 questions have been asked by tenants including these new posts:

Tenant Rights Categories

Popular categories about renters rights.